Protection From Abuse

Pennsylvania Protection from Abuse Act

Notice of services and rights

  The Borough of Berwick Police Department shall provide all abused persons with oral and written notice of the availability of a safe shelter and of domestic violence services in the community.  The written notification shall include the following statement:

 “If you are a victim of domestic violence, you have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting a Protection from Abuse Order for protection from abuse which could include the following:

  • An order restraining the abuser from further acts of abuse.
  • An order directing the abuser to leave the household.
  • An order preventing the abuser from entering your residence, school, business, or place of employment.
  • An order awarding you or the other parent temporary custody of, or temporary visitation with, your child or children.
  • An order directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor children, if the abuser has a legal obligation to do so.
  • An emergency order may be obtained from any on-duty District Justice”.

Obtaining protection from abuse orders

  • Those requesting protection from abuse orders should contact Beyond Violence at (570) 759-0298.
  • After normal business hours, weekends and holidays, call (570) 784-6300 for emergency protection from abuse orders.