Application Deadline Extended!!!!
The Berwick Civil Service Commission has extended the Police Officer application deadline. In addition, Berwick Borough will accept applications for those wishing to be sponsored to attend the next full time Academy. The minimum age requirement has also been lowered to 19. The new application deadline is at 4:30 P.M. on July 19, 2021. Applications shall be submitted to Berwick City Hall c/o Civil Service Commission, 1800 North Market Street Berwick, PA 18603. The Physical Agility Test is at 10:00 A.M. on July 24, 2021 at the Senator John R. Gordner Stadium next to Salem Elementary School. The Written Examination will be held at Berwick City Hall after the Physical Agility Test.
Interested applicants should expedite completing and submitting an application prior to 4:30 P.M. on July 19, 2021. Further information as well as the application and testing materials can be found at
An open house event will be held at Berwick City Hall at 12:00 P.M. until 3:00 P.M. on July 17, 2021. Interested applicants can tour the facility, speak to and ask questions with officers and administration, examine current police equipment and the current Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Applications are available online at http://www.berwickborough.org/index.php?pageid=10.
- The application fee has been waived.
- All applications must be submitted by mail to Berwick City Hall c/o Civil Service Commission, 1800 North Market Street Berwick, PA 18603 and received no later than 4:30 P.M. Monday, July 19, 2021.
- The Informed Consent & Medical Release Forms shall be signed, completed and turned in prior to the beginning of the Physical Agility Test on Saturday, July 24, 2021.
Qualifications and Pre-Requisites:
- All applicants must be a United States citizen and must have reached their nineteenth (19th) birthday before the deadline for submitting a completed application.
- All applicants must possess a diploma from an accredited high school or a graduate equivalency diploma (GED).
- Be physically and mentally fit to perform the duties of a police officer. Possess a valid operator’s license and be eligible to legally operate a motor vehicle in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- All applicants must be Act 120 certified under the Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission Act, or be eligible for an Act 120 waiver or certification, or currently be enrolled in a full time MPOETC accredited police academy and completed at least fifty percent (50%) of the program or currently enrolled in a MPOETC accredited part time police academy and have completed at least seventy-five percent (75%) of the training hours required.
- Applications will also be accepted from candidates seeking Berwick Borough to sponsor them to attend the next full time Act 120 Municipal Police Academy.
- The Borough of Berwick Civil Service Commission may refuse to examine or if examined may refuse to certify any applicant based on the current Borough of Berwick Civil Service rules and regulations.
- Applicants may also be disqualified for non-compliance of the regulations of Act 57.
The examination for Police Officer shall consist of a Physical Agility Test, Written Examination, Oral Examination, Background Examination and Polygraph Examination.
- The Written Examination and Oral Examination will be graded on a one hundred percent (100%) scale. The Written Examination will represent seventy percent (70%) of the final score. The Oral Examination will represent thirty percent (30%) of the final score.
The Physical Agility Test, Background Investigation and Polygraph Examination will be graded as pass/fail.
Physical Agility Test:
The Physical Agility Test will be held at the Senator John R. Gordner Stadium, located next to the Salem Elementary School which is located at 810 East 10th Street, Berwick, PA 18603 at 10:00 A.M. on Saturday, July 24, 2021. Those candidates passing the Physical Agility Test will qualify to take the Written Examination. The Physical Agility Test shall consist of:
- Vertical Jump of a minimum of fifteen and a half (15.5) inches.
- Thirty (30) Sit Ups.
- 300 Meter Run within sixty-six (66) seconds.
- Twenty-five (25) Push Ups.
One and a half (1.5) mile run within fifteen minutes and fifty-four seconds (15:54).
The Written Examination will be held in Council Chambers at Berwick City Hall, 1800 North Market Street, Berwick, PA 18603, following completion of the Physical Agility Test.
- Starting salary currently is $44,897, after completing the FTO Program salary is $47,112, beginning of second year salary is $49,327, beginning of third year salary is $56,661 and then beginning of fourth year salary is $63,996.
- Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) with the Teamsters Local Union No. 764.
- Comprehensive medical with family coverage provided at minimal cost and with deductible reimbursement.
- Dental and vision coverage.
- Generous vacation package.
- Deferred compensation (457) plan.
- Revitalized Police Benevolent Association with 501(c) (3) status, which allows for grant opportunities for funding to potentially purchase specialized police equipment and training.
- Availability to have flexible time off with the newly adopted Switching Shifts and Comp Time Programs.
- Multiple special assignments within the department, such as Detective, Special Operations Group, SWAT, Narcotics Officer, K-9, Training Instructor, FTO, Body-Worn Camera Program Manager, Evidence Manager, Social Media Specialist, Bike Patrol and Community Policing.
- On site gym facility with sauna, locker room and full bathroom.
- Non-offensive tattoos and well-groomed facial hair may be allowed.
- A department where you will be a valued member of the team.
The Borough of Berwick Police Department is a full-service law enforcement agency with an authorized workforce of sixteen (16) sworn officers and two (2) civilian employees. The department’s service area comprises three and a quarter (3.25) square miles with a total population of over ten thousand (10,000) residents.
Successful applicants once given an offer of employment must pass a medical exam and psychological exam and shall reside in the Borough of Berwick or within twenty-five (25) air miles of the borough border within six (6) months of the completion of the probationary period.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The Borough of Berwick is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.